Contact our YorSensory Team to access free sight & hearing advice.
Our YorSensory service is unique, as it is the only service in York for registrations and assessments. Our team can register and provide you with a full assessment if you want one for yourself or a loved one. We can discuss over the phone, in person in your home or at our Sensory Hub in Huntington. You can also speak with one of our trained professionals – who are experts in assessment, registration, and rehabilitation – across our local communities by visiting our mobile sensory outreach service when it visits your area.
The goals of the YorSensory service are to promote independence and safety and make your day to day living a far better experience. Registration is optional, as is an assessment, so even if you choose not to be registered you can still ask for advice. We are always available and willing to demonstrate products and discuss services that may be of interest to you.
Anyone living in York who may have any degree of visual impairment, hearing impairment, or both, can be referred to the YorSensory team. The services offered by the team include:
- Free support services to adults with visual and hearing impairments living in York.
- Statutory assessments on behalf of the City of York Council.
- Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) Registrations.
- Rehabilitation support in terms of mobility, daily living skills training and sight guiding.
- Equipment support for daily living with a visual impairment &/or hearing impairment.
- Information, advice and signposting to adults with a visual impairment &/or hearing impairment.
- Outreach Services to local communities across York.
- Support groups to adults living with tinnitus, visual impairment &/or hearing impairment.
- Sensory awareness training for businesses and voluntary organizations to support customers and staff living with a visual impairment &/or hearing impairment.
Referrals are welcome in respect of any adult across the City of York who may benefit from the services of the YorSensory team and can be made in person, by family, friends or professionals.
A referral to the YorSensory Team can be made by:
- using our: Enquiry Form
- emailing us at: [email protected]
- telephoning: 01904 20 22 92
- texting: 07580 750 346
By 2035 one in five of people living in the UK will have a hearing loss.
To find out more about the referral process and other frequently asked questions see our FAQs.