Contact YorSensory for Sensory Assessments and Sight Registrations.
Since 2017, the City of York Council has commissioned the Wilberforce Trust to deliver services for anyone living within the City of York who may have any degree of visual or hearing impairment or both.
Once a referral has come into the Yorsensory Team one of our Sensory Assessors will establish whether a Sensory Assessment is required or further information, support or signposting may be adequate.
A referral could come from the Hospital, A social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Ophthalmologist, a friend/relative or more importantly it can come from yourself if you are experiencing difficulties due to sensory loss.
If a Sensory Assessment is required, you will be added to the waiting list and one of our Sensory Assessors will arrange either a Home or Hub appointment to assess your risks and needs when carrying out daily activities.
Outcomes of an assessment may include:
- Demonstration and issuing of supportive equipment (e.g. a liquid level indicator, a symbol cane, a TV listener or a writing frame etc…)
- Referral for Rehabilitation Support for perhaps a lighting assessment, suite guide training, route planning or mobility training
- Referral for Technological Support
- Further information, advice and signposting from Yorsensory or other organisations who specialise in different areas
- Information regarding local support groups
Please see our FAQ’s regarding assessments if you have any further queries. If your question cannot be found here please contact the team for further support.
A referral into Yorsensory may stem from a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) being issued at the hospital as these are forwarded to the Yorsensory Team for registering and processing on behalf of the City of York Council.
A member of the team will explain the advantages of being registered either Partially Sight Impaired or Severely Sight Impaired, before a sensory Assessment is discussed.
The advantages are:
- Audio Description
- Free NHS Sight Test
- Disabled Person’s Bus Pass (copy of CVI is required)
- Leisure Concessions
- Exemption from BT Directory Enquiry Charges (195)
- Talking Books
- Access to National/Local Newspapers and Magazines – 0303 123 9999
Following your registration, you may choose to continue with a Sensory Assessment if you and the Assessor feel this is beneficial, or you may decline an assessment and your case with the Yorsensory Team will be closed.
A referral to the YorSensory Team can be made by:
- using our: Enquiry Form
- emailing us at: [email protected]
- telephoning: 01904 20 22 92
- texting: 07580 750 346
By 2035 one in five of people living in the UK will have a hearing loss.
To find out more about the referral process and other frequently asked questions see our FAQs.