Welcome to the Wilberforce Trust Knowledge Hub, a place where information, experience, expertise and commonly asked questions can be shared and explained.
All of the information here relates to different sensory conditions, living with and or caring for someone with sight or hearing loss, and in some cases both.
Feel free to browse our resources and contact the team if you have any further queries and would like to learn more about how your local sensory service can help you. In York this is the Yorsensory Team, please click over to our page for more details.
Click on the links below to access PDF versions of each of the resources:
- 10 Facts about Eye Conditions related to Diabetes – Did you know?
- Age Related Macular Degeneration – Did you know?
- Cataracts – Did you know?
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome (CBS) – Did you know?
- Directional Paving – Did you know?
- Glaucoma – Did you know?
- Lateral Flow Test Challenges for Individuals with a Visual Impairment – Did you know?
- Mobility Cane – Did you know?
- Rehabilitation Officer for people with a Visual Impairment (ROVI), what it involves – Did you know?
- Remote Controls – Did you know?
- Sightloss is a Spectrum – Did you know?
- Verbal communication also relies on verbal prompts, clues, gestures and social cues. A visual impairment can affect a person’s ability to communicate effectively with others as these could potentially be missed. – Did you know?