Sensory Outreach Officer
Sensory Outreach Officer
Position: 10 month contract (with the potential to continue) for 24 hours a week
Job Title: Sensory Outreach Officer
Reports to: Yorsensory Contract and Service Manager
You will work as a Sensory Outreach Officer for the Yorsensory Team operating within the Wilberforce Trust, actively seeking opportunities to reach a diverse range of communities in and around the City of York to promote the Yorsensory Service and the Wilberforce Trust. You will be required to travel independently to a range of different venues when required as identified by yourself and the management team as part of this role.
You will deliver the service through the most appropriate means for the outreach venue or identified event. This may include the Outreach Mobile Unit, Tabletop Events, Workshops and or Presentations. A flexible approach will be needed to meet the needs of the outreach events and may include working an occasional weekend.
Duties Within The Role
- You will proactively explore ways in which to promote the Yorsensory Service within diverse communities in and around York, taking advantage of outreach opportunities where possible and appropriate.
- You will liaise with partner organisations, volunteers, external venues, and wider colleagues within the Wilberforce Trust to ensure the running of a smooth outreach service with relevant and appropriate outcomes.
- You will support promotional activity through a variety of channels to raise awareness of the Yorsensory team, community outreach events and support group activities.
- You will have responsibility for ensuring that the Outreach Mobile Unit is ready to deliver services when it is booked to attend an event, ensuring that it is appropriately equipped for the services it will deliver.
- You will be responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the van and ensuring that you inform Facilities (or whomever relevant) when work or repairs are required upon the van.
- You will be responsible for managing the equipment (stock) within the Outreach Mobile Unit conducting regular stock checks, ordering, and replacing equipment.
- You will have an awareness of the holistic needs of customers, their families, and carers, providing relevant information to promote the maintenance and or improvement of independent living skills. This will include the demonstration of daily living equipment, recording of customer details for further support/assessments within the team, providing details about the services provided, offering advice, and signposting where appropriate.
- You will provide support to the Community Sensory Team, such as taking phone messages, making initial calls/contact with clients, booking appointments and reporting observations about clients to the Specialist Assessor.
- Where identified and required, initiate, and facilitate group work to respond to customer needs. This may involve setting up and running Outreach Groups within the Trust or at different venues and working in partnership with other organisations.
- Motivate and encourage customers to participate in community groups and Yorsensory services wherever available.
- Maintain accurate, comprehensive, and up to date records, both paper and electronic, in line with legal and departmental requirements.
- Be an ambassador for the Wilberforce Trust, communicate effectively and professionally with all members of the public and organisation alike.
Qualities and Knowledge:
- To have a good knowledge of sensory impairment and the daily challenges this can present.
- Experience in a Care Service /Assessment environment where provision of equipment may have been offered.
- Experience working in outreach and promotion, accessing diverse communities to ensure a fully accessible service.
- Awareness of the Equality Act and principles of equal opportunities
- Awareness of safeguarding legislation
- Preferably an experience of services utilising customer contact databases (e.g. – Mosaic, framework or similar)
- Strong communication, administration, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Packages (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) and Customer Relationship Management systems.
- Flexibility in approach to the role and ability to adapt to changing circumstances and demands of the outreach service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Keep up to date with mandatory training and professional development.
- Comply with Wilberforce Trust policies and procedures·
- Actively participate in the appraisal and SDS process.
- Always maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality following both legal and organisational requirements.
- Communicate, collaborate and work effectively with colleagues to meet the objectives of both the Yorsensory Service and The Wilberforce Trust requirements.
- Travel when required to carry out the above duties (full driver’s license and use of own vehicle required).
Please note that this job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and that the individual may be asked to undertake extra responsibilities as directed but within the individual’s sphere of responsibility and competence in order to meet the changing needs of the service.
This job description forms the broad framework within which the post holder will undertake their duties and will be subject to regular review and possible amendments. It does not form part of the contract.
How to Apply?
To apply for this position please send an up to date CV and covering letter to [email protected]